Sunday, November 25, 2007

Birding not Banding

We have been doing some banding but not so much due to travelling, etc. We've managed to get some birding in though and I thought I'd share two recent birds we have seen here.

Yesterday we saw the Yellow Breasted Chat that was reported in ONTbirds at Ashbridges Bay







It looks like a first year male and he was quite enjoying the berries on the
European euonymus-
they seem to be his
favourite!



He posed quite nicely for me too-I just got this new camera and have now quite figured it out yet-not sure why the shots aren't sharper but you get the idea!


and earlier in the Fall we got wonderful views of a Virginia Rail at Colonel Sam Smith Park-the bird came out repeatedly from the reeds and was quite tolerant. We managed to share this sighting with a birding group that was passing through.




While still
trying to identify him
I got quite the good look
at his beak as you can
see when he managed to
just stick it out

making i.d.ing just
a little bit easier :D

















In news from San Francisco they have released some of the birds from the oil spill-you can again read a wonderful posting about it in How's Robb Blog How fabulous there were wonderful volunteers to help-I only wish I could have been one of them!

2 comments:

mon@rch said...

wow, wow and wow! Those are such amazing pictures of the chat and rail! Both would have been awesome birds for me to have found this year!

LNeumann said...

Great photos Marg! I especially love the chat pictures. They're so colourful, and the composition is great.